Английский язык: Экспресс-репетитор для подготовки к ЕГЭ: «Грамматика и лексика»
5.1. ACTIVE VOICE
The verb ‘to be’: Present, Past, Future
Test 1. Fill in am/is/are (present), was/were (past) or will be/won’t be (future) in the gaps.
1. She travels a lot. Yesterday she _______ in Paris. Today she _______ in London. Tomorrow _______ she in New York.
2. _______ you at home yesterday?
3. _______ you at home tomorrow?
4. I _______ in Great Britain last week.
5. ‘Are you ready yet?’ ‘Not yet. I _______ ready in five minutes.’
6. The weather _______ nice today.
7. My sister is going away for a few days, so she _______ at home tomorrow.
8. I _______ a pupil. I go to school.
9. _______ you in the country last summer?
10. It’s Tom’s birthday next Sunday. He _______ 11.
11. I _______ cold. Can you close the window, please?
12. You may visit Jane tomorrow. She _______ busy.
13. Where _______ Ann yesterday?
14. My brother and I _______ good tennis players. We like to play tennis very much.
15. ‘ _______ the soup _______ ready soon?’ ‘Yes, it _______ ready in a few minutes.’
Test 2. Fill in is, are, was, were .
1. There _______ three people in the photo.
2. There _______ a woman, a man and their child in our garden now.
3. There _______ an exhibition in our town last month.
4. I didn’t like the hotel because there _______ a lot of furniture in the room.
5. He was thirsty but there _______ no drinks in the fridge.
6. The furniture was very old, there _______ two chairs and a table in the room.
7. She is at her office now. There _______ a lot of people waiting to see her.
8. Today there _______ a lot of snow on the ground.
9. There _______ some chicken and fish in the fridge now.
10. _______ there any furniture in the room?
11. There _______ somebody in the kitchen now.
12. There _______ no one on the roof of the house at the moment.
13. There _______ no flowers in our garden last summer.
14. There _______ a sports centre near our house.
15. There _______ 26 letters in the English alphabet.
Have and Have Got
Test 3. Complete the sentences with is/isn’t, are/aren’t or has/have (got).
1. My brother _______ ten years old.
2. There _______ any flowers in the garden.
3. My sister _______ three children.
4. Tom never sees new films because there _______ a cinema in his town.
5. He _______ a good job in a bank.
6. _______ there a stadium near here?
7. How much _______ the ice-creams?
8. Can I _______ a cup of coffee, please?
9. My house _______ a garden and a balcony.
10. There _______ lots of good shops in this city.
Test 4. Fill in is/are/was/were/have/has .
1. Tom _______ lost his note-book.
2. This bridge _______ built ten years ago.
3. _______ you finished your work yet?
4. This town is always clean. The streets _______ cleaned every day.
5. Where _______ you born?
6. I just _______ made some coffee. Would you like some?
7. Cheese _______ made from milk.
8. This is a very old photograph. It _______ taken a long time ago.
9. Mike _______ bought a new car.
10. _______ Ann working today?
Present Simple/Present Continuous
Test 5. Present Simple or Present Continuous?
1. Paul is good at tennis. He (plays/is playing) tennis very well.
2. It’s very noisy – Suzy (listens/is listening) to rock music.
3. Many birds (fly/are flying) south every summer.
4. Most students (don’t smoke/aren’t smoking) these days.
5. (Does Mr Black use/Is Mr Black using) the computer at the moment?
6. Jack usually (goes/is going) to work on Saturdays.
7. Dick isn’t at home now. He (helps/is helping) а student with his project.
8. (Does it rain?/Is it raining?) No, look, it’s sunny.
9. Cats (see/are seeing) very well in the dark.
10. You look nice, Ann. (Do you wear/Are you wearing) а new dress?
11. Japan (has/is having) many high mountains.
12. Every morning John (gets up/is getting up) at 7.00.
13. I’m sorry. I can’t help you at the moment. I (wash up/ am washing up).
14. (Do you go/Are you going) to the theatre tonight?
15. I (have/am having) а pain in my shoulder.
16. Jerry often (paints/is painting) pictures of different animals.
17. Derek is good at tennis but he (doesn’t play/isn’t playing) very often.
18. She’s not ready – she (cooks/is cooking) dinner.
19. (Do you always wear/Are you always wearing) glasses?
20. Turn the TV off – nо one (watches/is watching) it!
Test 6. Present Simple or Present Continuous?
1. Listen! I (want/am wanting) to ask you а few questions.
2. ‘Where is John?’ ‘He (has/is having) а smoke in the garden.’
3. How do you make this cake? It (tastes/is tasting) wonderful.
4. Those jeans (look/are looking) great on you!
5. Jane can’t come to the phone because she (washes/is washing) her hair.
6. I (don’t like/am not liking) football very much.
7. We usually (go/are going) to the seaside in summer.
8. I (think/am thinking) of going to university.
9. (Do you study/Are you studying) for your exams at the moment?
10. (Do you see/Are you seeing) my problem?
11. Can you be quiet, please? I (listen/am listening) to the radio.
12. He (thinks/is thinking) that school is boring.
13. They (meet/are meeting) for lunch once а month.
14. Ann paid for the boat so it (belongs/is belonging) to her now.
15. John! Answer the door, please! I (make/am making) dinner.
16. I (don’t enjoy/am not enjoying) cooking very much.
17. It (rains/is raining) а lot in this region in winter.
18. I (prefer/am preferring) volleyball to basketball.
19. (Do you know/Are you knowing) what’s happening?
20. We (have/are having) а house near the beach.
Test 7. Present Simple or Present Continuous?
1. The telephone (ring). Can you answer it?
2. Be quiet! I (watch) this film.
3. What he usually (have) for breakfast?
4. My parents (look) for а new country house now, because they (not want) to stay in Moscow in summer.
5. We usually (take) а bus to get to school.
6. ‘Why you (smile)?’ ‘I (have) nо homework today.’
7. Where you (go) on Sundays?
8. I always (wear) nice clothes at school. Today I (wear) а white blouse and а blue skirt.
9. ‘Jane! Where are you? What you (do)?’ ‘I (clean) my shoes.’
10. Nick (live) in Kiev. He often (phone) us when he (not be) busy.
11. ‘Why you (go) to bed? It’s only 10.00.’ ‘I always (go) to bed early.’
12. I can’t use the telephone now. It (not work).
13. It’s late. I (want) to go to sleep.
14. ‘How many languages she (speak)?’ ‘She (speak) six foreign languages.’
15. I (not think) Ann (like) me very much.
16. ‘Who is Richard?’ ‘He (stand) next to Jane.’
17. My father (work) in а bank, but today he is at home. He (write) letters.
18. ‘Where is Tom?’ ‘He (have) breakfast.’
19. John (not get) up very early on Sundays.
20. Oh, dear! This milk (taste) awful.
Test 8. Present Simple or Present Continuous?
1. Hurry up! Everybody (wait) for you.
2. ‘You (watch) TV?’ ‘No, you can turn it off.’
3. What you usually (do) at weekends?
4. The Volga (flow) into the Caspian Sea.
5. I’m tired. I (go) to bed now. Goodnight!
6. This train is never late. It always (leave) on time.
7. Don’t put the dictionary away. I (use) it.
8. Who is this man? What he (want)?
9. You look serious! What you (think) about?
10. He told me his address but I (not remember) it now.
11. Jane (not drink) coffee very often.
12. Please don’t make so much noise. Tom (do) his homework.
13. I (look) for Ann. You (know) where she is?
14. He never (tell) the truth. I (not believe) him.
15. ‘Tom usually (help) about the house?’ ‘No, he.’
16. You may phone Peter and ask him. I think he (not sleep) yet.
17. When your children usually (get) up?
18. Why that man (look) at us? You (recognize) him?
19. ‘Can you drive?’ ‘I (learn). My father (teach) me.’
20. Listen to those people! What language they (speak)?
Present Simple/Present Continuous/Future Simple
Test 9. Present Simple or Future Simple?
1. If the food (be) good, we’ll come here again.
2. What will you do if Ann (not pay)?
3. When I arrive, I (phone) you.
4. You (help) me if I have а problem?
5. Before you (go), leave my key on the table.
6. If you (not pay), you’ll get into trouble.
7. As soon as Linda (arrive), call me.
8. What you (say) if Peter asks?
9. If you don’t go away, I (call) the police!
10. I (not wait) if he is late again.
11. If he (miss) the last train, he’ll spend the night in а hotel.
12. What will you do if the weather (be) bad on holiday?
13. If I stay here, I (not be) happy.
14. If I (be) unhappy, I won’t work hard.
15. She’ll have some German lessons before she (go) to Berlin.
16. If Peter (ring), tell him I will never see him again.
17. He (be) happy if he wins his next match.
18. She won’t be able to go until she (feel) much better.
19. If the bus (not come) soon, I’ll be late for school.
20. I want to speak to him before he (go) out.
Test 10. Present Simple or Future Simple?
1. If he (speak) to Ann tomorrow, he (say) hello from you.
2. I’m sure he (talk) to you before he (leave) Moscow next week.
3. We (not go) to the seaside this weekend if the car (not be) repaired.
4. We (have) some food when we (finish) the housework.
5. As soon as we (arrive), we (give) you а call.
6. She (feel) much happier when she (get) her exam results.
7. There (be) а short break before the film (start).
8. We (not go) out until the weather (improve).
9. When he (see) her, he (give) her the message.
10. What you (do) if you (not get) the job?
11. They (not know) until the letter (arrive).
12. Mike is а little boy. He (want) to be а pilot when he (grow) up.
13. Let’s have а drink before we (start).
14. Don’t worry if I (be) late tonight.
15. I don’t know when he (come) tomorrow.
16. He (phone) you tomorrow as soon as he (arrive).
17. I’m sure Ann will pass the exam. It’ll be very strange if she (not pass) it.
18. I wonder if Jane (come) to my birthday party next Saturday.
19. When he (come) home from school, he usually (have) dinner.
20. After Mary (finish) school, she (enter) the University.
Test 11. Present Simple, Present Continuous or Future Simple?
1. He (phone) you tomorrow when he (get) home from work.
2. ‘I (be) very busy now.’ ‘Why? What you (do)?’
3. Tom (not be) lazy. He (work) hard every day.
4. How often you (go) to the theatre?
5. We (go) to England for our holiday next year.
6. Wait for me! I (come) as soon as I (finish).
7. ‘You (work) hard today!’ ‘Yes, I have а lot to do.’
8. ‘What he usually (do) at weekends?’ ‘He usually (play) tennis.’
9. I (read) а very interesting book at the moment.
10. He is enjoying his holiday. He (have) а nice room in the hotel.
11. You (be) hungry? You (want) something to eat?
12. When I (come) home tomorrow, all my family (be) at home.
13. ‘Where is Ann?’ ‘She (have) а bath.’
14. You (see) that man over there? It’s our new teacher.
15. Look! Kate (dance) again. She (dance) every day.
16. How long it usually (take) you to get to school?
17. John (not go) for а walk today until his mother (come) back from work.
18. You (understand) me now?
19. ‘Would you like а cigarette?’ ‘No, thanks. I (not smoke).’
20. Let’s go out! It (not rain) any more.
Test 12. Present Simple, Present Continuous or Future Simple?
1. ‘When he (get) up every day?’ ‘He (get) up at 8 o’clock.’
2. They (not drink) coffee now. I (think) they (watch) TV.
3. When he (return) to London next week, he (call) us.
4. Our friends always (go) to the country for the weekend.
5. Look! The kitten (play) with its tail.
6. What your brother usually (drink) in the evening?
7. We (have) an English lesson now.
8. ‘Listen! Who (speak) in the next room?’ ‘I (listen) very attentively, but I (hear) nothing.’
9. If it (not rain) tomorrow, we (not stay) at home.
10. Don’t go out: it (rain) heavily. You (get) wet through if you (not take) an umbrella.
11. ‘Have you done your homework?’ ‘Yes, I have. And now I (want) to watch TV.’
12. I (have) no time now, I (have) dinner.
13. ‘Where your sister (be) now?’ ‘She (do) her homework in the next room.’
14. Why she (come) home so late tomorrow?
15. What you (do) now? I (see) that you (not sleep).
16. Before he (start) for London tomorrow, he (visit) our office.
17. Nick (know) English rather well now.
18. When your lessons usually (begin) on Monday?
19. Tomorrow he (go) to the library after he (finish) his homework.
20. ‘Where you (be) tomorrow?’ ‘I (be) at home.’
Past Simple/Present Perfect
Test 13. Past Simple or Present Perfect?
1. Tom (didn’t meet/hasn’t met) his sister since he was а child.
2. Olga (lived/has lived) in England last year.
3. I (lost/have lost) my key. I can’t find it anywhere.
4. Look! Somebody (broke/has broken) my pen.
5. How many plays (did Shakespeare write/has Shakespeare written)?
6. Do you know about Jane? She (gave up/has given up) smoking.
7. I’m looking for Mike. (Did you see/Have you seen) him?
8. Your car looks great. (Did you wash/Have you washed) it?
9. Mr. Clark (worked/has worked) in а bank for 15 years. Then he gave it up.
10. I don’t know this young woman. We (never met/have never met) before.
11. When (did you write/have you written) this poem?
12. Chaikovsky (was/has been) а great Russian composer.
13. Mary isn’t at home. She (went/has gone) shopping.
14. (Did you see/Have you seen) this film? It’s fantastic!
15. Oh! I (cut/have cut) my finger. It’s bleeding.
16. Where (were you/have you been) born?
17. My parents (got/have got) married in а small village.
18. Agatha Christie (wrote/has written) 68 novels, 17 plays and more than а hundred stories.
19. I’m very hungry! I (didn’t eat/haven’t eaten) anything today.
20. When sending the telegram she (forgot/has forgotten) to write her name.
Test 14. Past Simple or Present Perfect?
1. It (not snow) this week.
2. You (see) the news on television last night?
3. Mike (leave) school in 1999.
4. I don’t know where my brother is. You (see) him?
5. ‘Where is your key?’ ‘I don’t know. I (lose) it.’
6. We (visit) the local museum the other day.
7. Ann is on holiday. She (go) to France.
8. When the last train (leave)?
9. ‘Would you like something to eat?’ ‘No, thanks. I just (have) lunch.’
10. The weather (be) good when you (be) on holiday?
11. We (not see) each other for а long time.
12. It’s the most interesting book I ever (read).
13. He (drink) too much coffee today.
14. What you (do) at the weekend?
15. John is hungry. He (not eat) anything since breakfast.
16. She (not go) to the library three days ago.
17. How long you (know) Bill?
18. Olga always (want) to visit Great Britain.
19. You (hear) from Jack recently?
20. Mark Twain (live) in the state of Missouri.
Test 15. Past Simple or Present Perfect?
1. ‘He ever (be) to London?’ ‘Yes. he _______. Several times.’
2. ‘What’s the news?’ ‘We (win) the tennis competition.’
3. ‘When you (speak) to him?’ ‘We (meet) yesterday.’
4. He (not call) me this month.
5. How long you (be) ill?
6. We (see) an interesting film the other day.
7. I (know) them for 2 years.
8. You (be) happy when you (be) a child?
9. I always (travel) by plane.
10. Where is Tom? You (see) him?
11. It’s the most interesting film I ever (see).
12. The construction (start) in April.
13. She (not call) me since she (arrive) in Moscow.
14. They (not go) to the cinema last week.
15. We (have) too many tests today.
16. What you (do) last Sunday?
17. William Shakespeare (write) a lot of plays.
18. I (lose) my exercise-book. I can’t find it anywhere.
19. You (go) to the cinema yesterday?
20. You (meet) Ann lately?
Test 16. Complete the text. Put the verbs in brackets into the Present Perfect or Past Simple tense.
I (1)(go) to New York for the first time three years ago.
I (2)(meet) an American girl of my age called Laura. She (3)(be) very friendly.
‘You (4)(be) to New York before?’ she asked me.
‘No, I ______(5),’ I said, and so Laura offered to help me.
‘You (6)(see) the Statue of Liberty yet?’
‘Yes, I (7)(see) it yesterday.’
‘OK. What about the Empire State Building?’
‘Yes, I just (8)(climb) to the top of it. It (9)(be) wonderful!’
‘What else you (10)(visit) in New York?’
‘Nothing really. I’d like to go shopping but I (11)(not find) any good shops yet.
‘Well, let’s go to Macy’s. It’s the best shop in New York. So, we (12)(take) the underground to Macy’s and I (13)(spend) a fortune! I (14)(leave) New York two weeks later after a terrific holiday. I (15)(enjoy) it very much.
Past Simple/Past Continuous/Past Perfect
Test 17. Past Simple or Past Continuous?
1. While I (listened/was listening) to the radio, the telephone (rang/was ringing).
2. He (broke/was breaking) his leg when he (skied/was skiing) in the Alps.
3. They (listened/were listening) to the orchestra when the pianist (became/was becoming) ill.
4. Ann (played/was playing) the piano while Tom (painted/was painting) а picture.
5. We (saw/were seeing) an accident while we (waited/ were waiting) for the bus.
6. She (worked/was working) quietly at her desk when suddenly the door (opened/was opening) and her daughter (ran/was running) in.
7. While she (prepared/was preparing) lunch, she (cut/was cutting) her finger.
8. We (met/were meeting) while we (lived/were living) in Italy.
9. Which countries (did they visit/were they visiting) while they (travelled/were travelling) round the world?
10. (Did you work/Were you working) in the garden when I (came/was coming) home?
11. А strange man (walked/was walking) into the room. He (wore/was wearing) red trousers and а pink shirt.
12. (Didn’t you meet/Weren’t you meeting) your wife while you (worked/were working) in France?
13. I (saw/was seeing) you in the park yesterday. You (sat/ were sitting) on а bench.
14. They (lived/were living) in Canada when they (met/ were meeting) each other.
15. While I (listened/was listening) to music, my brother (did/was doing) his homework.
16. What (did you write/were you writing) when your computer (crashed/was crashing)?
17. As he (passed/was passing) the bank, а man in а mask (knocked/was knocking) him onto the ground.
18. Why (didn’t they visit/weren’t they visiting) me while they (stayed/were staying) in London?
19. Jack (drove/was driving) home from work when he (saw/was seeing) the accident.
20. Tom (arrived/was arriving) while the children (had/ were having) their bath.
Test 18. Put the verbs in brackets into the Past Continuous or the Past Simple Tense.
1. ‘What you (do) when the phone (ring)?’ ‘I (watch) television.’
2. ‘Was Jane busy when you came to see her?’ ‘Yes, she (study).’
3. ‘What time Tom (come) yesterday?’ ‘He (come) while I (have) breakfast.’
4. ‘Was Mary at school last week?’ ‘No, she (not go) to school. She was ill.’
5. ‘How fast you (drive) when the police (stop) you?’ ‘I don’t know exactly but I (not drive) very fast.’
6. ‘Your team (win) the football match yesterday?’ ‘No, the weather was very bad, so we (not play).’
7. ‘How you (break) the window?’ ‘We (play) football and the ball (hit) the window.’
8. ‘You (see) Jenny last night?’ ‘Yes, she (wear) a very nice jacket.’
9. ‘What you (do) at 10 o’clock on Sunday?’ ‘I still (sleep).’
10. ‘I (lose) my key last night.’ ‘How you (get) into your room then?’
Test 19. Past Simple or Past Continuous?Yesterday I (1)(get) up at 7 а.m. That morning, I (2)(walk) to work. I (3)(not want) to go by bus because the sun (4)(shine) brightly and the birds (5)(sing) merrily. While I (6)(walk) past the supermarket, I (7)(see) something strange. А man (8)(pass) me and he (9)(sing) а football song very loudly, on his own! He (10)(continue) for а few minutes. Then he (11)(meet) а friend and (12)(stop) singing. I (13)(turn) round the corner and (14)(see) а friend of mine. He (15)(stand) at а bus stop and (16)(wait) for а bus. He (17)(tell) me that we (18)(be) late. At that moment а bus (19)(come) and we (20)(get) on.
Test 20. Past Simple or Past Perfect?
1. I (enjoyed/had enjoyed) the film even though I (saw/ had seen) it before.
2. I got up late that morning so when I (arrived/had arrived) at the station, the train (already left/had already left).
3. I couldn’t speak to them because when I (phoned/had phoned), they (went/had gone) out already.
4. We realized that we (met/had met) before as soon as we (saw/had seen) each other.
5. They (lived/had lived) in their house for twenty years when they (decided/had decided) to sell it.
6. My sister (bought/had bought) me а novel but I (already read/had already read) it.
7. As soon as I heard his voice, I (knew/had known) we (met/had met) before.
8. When I (opened/had opened) the door, the lesson (already began/had already begun).
9. She (painted/had painted) the wall before the children (came/had come) home.
10. The pupils (didn’t finish/hadn’t finished) the test when the bell (rang/had rung).
11. I (met/had met) Ann а week ago. She (just returned/ had just returned) from а business trip.
12. As soon as I (heard/had heard) а cry, I (ran/had run) out of the room.
13. I (tried/had tried) to phone John in the morning, but he (already left/had already left).
14. The children (didn’t clean/hadn’t cleaned) the room before their parents (came/had come) home.
15. I (finished/had finished) writing the project at 6 o’clock yesterday.
16. I (wrote/had written) the composition by 6 o’clock yesterday.
17. The teacher (understood/had understood) that the pupils (didn’t do/hadn’t done) their homework.
18. When my brother (returned/had returned) home, we (went/had gone) for а walk together.
19. He (told/had told) me that he (never played/had never played) football before.
20. She (was/had been) а nurse before she (became/had become) а doctor.
Test 21. Past Simple, Past Continuous or Past Perfect? Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.
Yesterday Ann (1)(see) a strange man leaving the house. She (2)(notice) that he (3)(wear) a raincoat, and she (4)(wonder) why because it (5)(be) hot and sunny. The man (6)(not see) her. He (7)(begin) to walk away but he (8)(stop) suddenly and (9)(get) into a blue car that (10)(be) parked near the corner. Ann (11)(notice) a large bag by the wall. She was frightened as she (12)(watch) a programme about bombs the night before. So she (13)(decide) to phone the police. By the time they (14)(arrive), the man (15)(go).
Future Simple/Future Continuous/Future Perfect
Test 22. Choose the correct form of the verb.
1. Please don’t call me this afternoon. I _______ some important work.
а) will do b) will be doing с) will have done
2. He will come round tomorrow if he _______ time.
а) will have b) have с) has
3. By the time we get to London we _______ over two hundred miles.
а) will drive b) drive с) will have driven
4. He _______ back to Moscow on the 15th of December.
а) will come b) come с) will have come
5. If they start school at four, most children _______ to read and write by the age of six.
а) will have learnt b) will be learning с) will learn
6. By the end of this century scientists _______ factories in space.
а) will be building b) will have built с) build
7. I think I’ll stay here until it _______ raining.
а) stops b) doesn’t stop с) will stop
8. When you arrive at their place, they won’t be ready. They _______ the meal.
а) will still cook b) will be still cooking с) will have still cooked
9. If he _______, I will let you know.
а) will come b) will have come с) comes
10. By 2020, he _______ here for twenty years.
а) will have worked b) will be working с) works
11. ‘Have you decided how to spend the prize money?’ ‘Well, I think we _______ а new car.’
а) buy b) will buy с) will have bought
12. This time tomorrow they _______ а film.
а) will watch b) will be watching с) will have watched
13. He _______ at 7 o’clock tomorrow.
a) will get up b) will be getting up c) will have got up
14. At 10 o’clock tomorrow, she _______ in her office.
a) will work b) will be working c) will have worked
15. We’re late. The film _______ by the time we get to the cinema.
a) already starts b) will already start c) will have already started
16. If we take a taxi, we _______ to the theatre in time.
a) come b) will come c) will be coming
17. This time next week I _______ in the sea.
a) will be swimming b) will have swum c) swim
18. Let’s wait for Jane to come back and then we _______ dinner.
a) have b) will have c) will have had
19. Phone me after 8 o’clock. We _______ dinner by then.
a) will have b) have c) will have had
20. We won’t start until everyone _______.
a) will arrive b) arrives c) will have arrived
Test 23. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form (present or future).
When you (1)(take) a holiday with the Big Bus Company, you (2)(have) the time of your life. As soon as you (3)(arrive), you (4)(feel) as if you (5)(be) in a different world. While you (6)(stay) with us, we (7)(do) our best to ensure that your holiday (8)(run) smoothly and you (9)(not get) bored. The Big Bus Company (10)(have) something to offer for all ages and tastes. If you (11)(want) to play golf, ride or fish, our staff (12)(be) happy to make the necessary arrangements, or if you simply (13)(want) to relax and enjoy the breathtaking scenery we (14)(be) delighted to organise some guided walks. Before your holiday is over, you (15)(already/plan) your next visit.
Test 24. Mixed tenses: write the verbs in brackets in the correct form.
1. He (spend) last summer in the country.
2. What your brother (do) now?
3. He (not write) а composition by next Monday.
4. My sister (wash) the dishes every morning.
5. You (go) to the south next summer?
6. When I (ring) Mike up yesterday, he still (learn) а poem.
7. If you (not help) me, I (not do) this work by 5 o’clock tomorrow.
8. Yesterday he (go) for а walk only when he (do) his homework.
9. I (not go) to the cinema tomorrow, I (watch) TV the whole evening.
10. When I came to the station, the train already (leave).
11. We (not grow) tomatoes next summer.
12. You ever (be) to Piccadilly Circus?
13. What you (buy) at the shop yesterday?
14. If it (not rain) tomorrow, we (not stay) at home.
15. When he (come) tomorrow, I still (do) my homework.
16. Look! My friends (play) football.
17. He (not read) Turgenev since he was а pupil.
18. You (write) this letter by the time she (come) tomorrow?
19. ‘Lena usually (do) her homework at school?’ ‘No, she _______.’
20. What you (do) at 6 o’clock yesterday?
Test 25. Mixed tenses: write the verbs in brackets in the correct form.
1. I (not play) chess tomorrow.
2. He ever (be) to London?
3. Where you (go) now?
4. We (travel) around Europe last year.
5. If he (not see) her tomorrow, he (leave) her а note.
6. She usually (read) in the evening.
7. What you (do) at 6 o’clock tomorrow?
8. Yesterday I (find) the book which I (lose) in summer.
9. What your brother (do) every day?
10. When he (arrive) tomorrow, I still (sleep).
11. Listen! Somebody (play) the piano in the next room.
12. Where you (go) last summer?
13. He (not meet) Peter since they were pupils.
14. How many pages you (read) by 5 o’clock tomorrow?
15. When I left home, the snow already (stop).
16. What Nick (do) when you (ring) him up yesterday?
17. If he (not help) me, I (not write) а composition by next Monday.
18. I (not go) to the cinema yesterday, I (watch) TV the whole evening.
19. He (not do) his homework yet.
20. What you (buy) at the shop tomorrow?
Test 26. Mixed tenses. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.
А funny thing happened to me the other day. I (1)(be) in а hurry to get to work and I found that my car wasn’t working. I (2)(have) to rush out of the house to catch the bus. While I (3)(walk) along the street, I (4)(notice) а woman of about my age on the opposite side of the road. I looked at her again and I (5)(realize) that we (6)(meet) before. She arrived at the bus stop а couple of seconds after me. ‘She must be catching the bus, too,’ I thought. We (7)(just miss) the previous bus and we had fifteen minutes to wait before the next one. I looked at the woman behind me again and I was sure that I (8)(know) her.
‘Excuse me, have we met before? I’m sure that I (9)(recognize) you,’ I said. She looked а bit surprised, but she (10)(tell) me that her name was Angela Barker.
‘You (11)(study) history at Liverpool University from 1985 to 1988!’ I shouted.
‘That’s right!" she replied, ‘And you’re Claire….?’
‘Lewis. Well, my name was Lewis but I (12)(be) married now. What you (13)(do) nowadays?’ I asked.
‘Well, I (14)(work) in the Central Museum in town and I (15)(live) in this area, in George Street, for about three years,’ she replied.
‘You’re joking! I (16) (not believe) you. I live round the corner from there. We (17)(be) neighbours for three years and we (18)(never see) each other!’ I said.
‘I know, it’s incredible!’ she (19)(agree), ‘And I’m glad that you spoke to me because I wondered why you (20)(look) at me all the time!’
Perfect Simple/Perfect Continuous
Test 27. Present Perfect Simple or Continuous? Choose the correct verb form.
1. John is reading a book now. He has (read/been reading) it for two hours. He has (read/been reading) 53 pages so far.
2. Ann’s clothes are covered in paint. She has (painted/ been painting) the ceiling. She has not finished it yet.
3. Jane is still doing her homework. She has (done/been doing) it all day long.
4. Have you ever (played/been playing) tennis?
5. Look! Somebody has (broken/been breaking) that window!
6. ‘Sorry I’m late.’ ‘That’s all right. I have not (waited/ been waiting) long.’
7. ‘Is it still raining?’ ‘No, it has (stopped/been stopping) raining.’
8. I have (lost/been losing) my address book. Have you (seen/been seeing) it anywhere?
9. My hands are very dirty. I have (repaired/been repairing) the car for two hours.
10. Mary has (written/been writing) ten letters today.
11. Have you (seen/been seeing) my bag anywhere? I have (looked/been looking) for it for ages.
12. How long have you (written/been writing) this composition?
13. They have (played/been playing) chess since 2 o’clock.
14. I have (known/been knowing) about it for a long time.
15. John has always (lived/been living) in London.
16. I haven’t (seen/been seeing) Tom since Monday.
17. Where have you been? Have you (played/been playing) football?
18. You have (driven/been driving) all day. Let me drive now.
19. Where is Tom? I haven’t (seen/been seeing) him today.
20. The British have (drunk/been drinking) tea since 1650.
Test 28. Present Perfect Simple or Continuous? Choose the correct verb form.
1. I have (broken/been breaking) your pen. I am very sorry.
2. ‘What’s the matter?’ ‘I have (read/been reading) in my room for hours, and I have got a headache.’
3. I am very tired! I have (worked/been working) all day, but I have not (finished/been finishing) yet.
4. I have (smoked/been smoking) since I was sixteen.
5. I have (smoked/been smoking) too many cigarettes today.
6. ‘Why are you out of breath?’ ‘I have (run/been running).’
7. I have (lost/been loosing) my note-book. Have you (seen/been seeing) it anywhere?
8. Someone has (eaten/been eating) my sweets. They are nearly all gone.
9. I have (waited/been waiting) for you for ages! Where
have you been?
10. How many exercises have you (done/been doing) today?
11. This is the best book I have ever (read/been reading).
12. How long have you (known/been knowing) Jane?
13. How long have you (learnt/been learning) to drive?
14. I don’t know what Tom and Jack are doing. They have (argued/been arguing) all day.
15. You are so dirty! What have you (done/been doing)?
16. I have (painted/been painting) the living room for a week. It’ll be finished soon.
17. I have (painted/been painting) the living room. I finished it last night.
18. ‘Why is your hair wet?’ ‘ I have (swum/been swimming).’
19. I have (shopped/been shopping) all morning, but I have not (bought/been buying) anything.
20. The streets are all wet. It has (rained/been raining) all day long.
Test 29. Put the verbs in brackets into either the Past Simple, Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Continuous.
Ever since the day I (1)(decide) to move to London, I (2)(worry) whether the decision I (3)(take) was the right one. As I (4)(already sell) my house and (5)(arrange) а new job, it is too late to change my mind. However, since then I (6)(hear) а lot of negative things about living in the capital, and lately some of them (7)(begin) to bother me.
I (8)(grow up) in а fairly small town and I (9)(spend) all of my life there. I (10)(always want) to live in а big city and so when my company (11)(offer) me а job in their London office, I (12)(grab) at the chance. But according to а programme I (13)(just hear) on the radio, more and more реор1е (14)(stop) working in London recently, and а lot of large companies (15)(choose) to move away from the centre. Of course I (16)(tell) my parents that I’m moving and they (17)(accept) my decision, but when I (18)(tell) my friends they (19)(seem) rather shocked. Since then I (20)(hope) secretly that the company would tell me that the move was off!
Test 30. Past Perfect Simple or Continuous? Choose the correct verb form.
1. I knew the facts of the case because I had (read/been reading) the report.
2. My eyes ached because I had (read/been reading) for three hours.
3. The children were dirty. They had (played/been playing) in the garden, and they were covered in mud.
4. I was very nervous at the beginning of the match. I had never (played/been playing) before.
5. Donald was very angry. He had (worked/been working) in the kitchen all morning, and no one had offered to help him.
6. The roads were wet because it had (rained/been raining) all night.
7. He was broke. He had (spent/been spending) all his money.
8. His hands were covered in oil because he had (tried/ been trying) to fix the car all morning. Unfortunately, he had not (managed/been managing) to make it start.
9. I got to the meeting very late and everyone was waiting for me to start; the chairman told me they had (waited/ been waiting) for a whole hour.
10. When I arrived at the party, Mary had already (left/ been leaving).
11. We were good friends. We had (known/been knowing) each other for a long time.
12. They had (climbed/been climbing) for five hours before they reached the top of the mountain.
13. I had (felt/been feeling) sleepy all day so I went to bed early.
14. Ken gave up smoking two years ago. He had (smoked/ been smoking) for 30 years.
15. Ann had just (got/been getting) home when I phoned.
16. We were extremely tired at the end of the journey. We had (travelled/been travelling) for more than 24 hours.
17. I was sad when I sold my car. I had (had/been having) it for a very long time.
18. Mary was sitting on the ground. She was out of breath. She had (run/been running).
19. In the evening I was very tired because I had (cleaned/ been cleaning) my house since morning.
20. The house was dirty. They had not (cleaned/been cleaning) it for weeks.
Test 31. Future Perfect Simple or Continuous? Choose the correct verb form.
1. We are late. The film will already have (started/been starting) by the time we get to the cinema.
2. We will have (flied/been flying) non-stop for seven hours before we get to New York.
3. By the end of this year he will have (acted/been acting) for thirty years.
4. Next year John and Ann will have (been/been being) married for 25 years.
5. Mr. Jacobs will have (worked/been working) on this project for 3 years next month.
6. Yes, I make jam every week. I’ll have (made/been making) about 200 kilos by the end of the summer.
7. Ann always leaves for work at 8.30 in the morning. So she won’t be at home at 9 o’clock. She will have (gone/ been going) to work.
8. I hope they will have (repaired/been repairing) this road by the time we come back next summer.
9. His telephone is out of order. He is still repairing it. Tomorrow he will have (repaired/been repairing) his telephone for a week.
10. He spends all his time planting trees. He says that by the end of next year he will have (planted/been planting) 2,000.
11. We’d better wait till 14 December. David will have (had/been having) his exam by then, so he’ll be able to join us. 12. I am expecting an important letter and I think it will have (arrived/been arriving) by Thursday.
13. Jane will have (learnt/been learning) English for 5 years this summer.
14. By the end of the month he will have (climbed/been climbing) mountains for twenty years.
15. By the end of the month he will have (climbed/been climbing) 50 mountains.
16. Today is Tuesday. Rosie says she will have (finished/ been finishing) her composition by Saturday.
17. When Frank comes home, his mother will have already (cooked/been cooking) dinner.
18. By 6 o’clock Ted will have (played/been playing) football for 5 hours!
19. Wake me up by 9 o’clock! I’ll have (slept/been sleeping) long enough by then.
20. At the end of this term I will have (taught/been teaching) for six years.
Test 32. Sequence of Tenses: choose the correct verb form.
1. The teacher asked who (is/was) present that day.
2. He realized that they (lost/had lost) their way.
3. She says she (will come/would come) in time.
4. He says he (has/had) a good camera now.
5. John said he (will leave/would leave) soon.
6. Ann said that she (is going/was going) to learn to drive.
7. He explained that he (stayed/had stayed) at home the day before.
8. My friend says he (has just returned/had just returned) from London.
9. He said that he (lived/had lived) in Moscow the year before.
10. I think the weather (will be/would be) fine next week.
11. He said he (was born/had been born) in 1955.
12. Bill asked if she (came/would come) the next day.
13. She said that she (can’t/couldn’t) come to the party.
14. I knew that he (is/was) a very clever man.
15. He said that they (were/had been) friends at school some years before.
16. I asked my sister what she (has bought/had bought) for my birthday.
17. He said he (is staying/was staying) at the ‘Rossiya’ hotel then.
18. I am sure you (must/had to) go to the meeting tomorrow.
19. The teacher promised that the pupils (read/would read) the text the next day.
20. I don’t know whether he (will come/would come) or not.
Test 33. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense.
1. ‘What you (do)?’ ‘I (read). I (read) for already two hours. I already (read) 100 pages.’
2. When I (leave) home yesterday, the snow already (stop), but a strong wind (blow).
3. How long you (wait) for me? I am really very sorry.
4. He said he (work) for a long time without achieving good results.
5. If he (ring) me up tomorrow, I (tell) him all about it.
6. ‘You ever (be) to the new stadium?’ ‘Yes, I (be) there last Saturday.’
7. At last the reply from my grandmother came, and my mother (tell) me she (come) soon.
8. He (help) his mother every day?
9. At this time tomorrow we (discuss) your report.
10. What you (do) when I came in?
11. He (teach) at school for five years when the war broke out.
12. Hi! What you (do) here since morning?
13. By the end of this year he (read) about two hundred pages.
14. When you (see) him last?
15. Don’t ring me up at 11 o’clock, I (sleep).
16. ‘You (find) your note-book?’ ‘No! I still (look) for it. I already (look) for it for two hours, but (not yet find) it.’
17. They (sail) down the river for many hours before they come to the village.
18. At last the librarian gave me the book which I (wait) for during two months.
19. He (write) the composition for three hours and he said he (finish) it soon.
20. On entering the drawing-room he (find) that his two friends (get) up and (wait) for him.
Test 34. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense.
1. Yesterday by 8 o’clock he (finish) all his work, and when I (come) at 9, he (read).
2. ‘When he usually (get up)?’ ‘He (get) up at seven o’clock.’
3. Come along, Henry, what you (do) now? I (wait) for you since morning.
4. The students (not write) a test tomorrow at 3 o’clock, as they already (write) it by then.
5. ‘What you (do) now?’ ‘I (prepare) for my report.’ ‘How long you (prepare) for it?’ ‘For two hours already.’
6. Yesterday he (wait) for half an hour when at last he (see) her at the end of the platform.
7. The teacher said that the pupils (read) the text the next day.
8. When I (come) home yesterday, my sister already (return) and (sit) at the fireplace looking through some magazines.
9. When he (come) to her place tomorrow, she still (pack) her suitcases.
10. This man is a writer. He (write) books. He (write) books since he was a young man. He already (write) eight books.
11. He (wait) for you for two hours already and said he (ring) you up later.
12. By the end of next month we (translate) ten articles.
13. ‘You ever (spend) your holidays in the Crimea?’ ‘Yes, I _____. I (be) there last year.’
14. ‘What he (do) next year?’ ‘After he (finish) school, he (enter) the University.’
15. ‘When you (see) Mary?’ – ‘I (see) her last week.’
16. At last I (do) all my homework: now I’ll go out.
17. They (work) hard for many hours before they are able to finish it.
18. What you (read) when I rang you up?
19. ‘You (learn) this poem?’ ‘No! I still (learn) it. I already (learn) it for two hours, but I (not yet learn) it.’
20. We could not go out because it (rain) hard since early morning.
Test 35. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense.1. When I entered the room, her eyes (be) red because she (cry) for a long time.
2. She is very glad: she (finish) her composition at last.
3. When he (come) home tomorrow, mother still (cook) dinner.
4. Lena is a very good girl. She always (help) her mother about the house. Today she (help) her mother since morning. She already (wash) the floor. Now they (cook) dinner.
5. What you (do) at 5 o’clock yesterday?
6. ‘What Nick usually (do) in the evening?’ ‘He (read), (watch) TV and (play) chess.’
7. When I enter the Medical College, I already (study) English for more than ten years.
8. When I rang up Jim, he (read) my book for 2 hours, and said he (return) it to me soon.
9. ‘You (do) your homework?’ ‘No! I still (do) it. I already (do) it for 2 hours, but I (not yet do) it.’
10. ‘What you (do) tomorrow?’ ‘We (go) to the theatre if she (bring) tickets.’
11. You (play) football for already 3 hours. Go home and do your homework!
12. When I (ring) up Mike yesterday, he still (learn) the poem which he (begin) learning at school.
13. Boris said that he (spend) his next holidays in the Crimea.
14. ‘You (see) Mary today?’ ‘Yes, I ______. I (see) her 2 hours ago.’
15. When you come to my place tomorrow, I (watch) TV. I already (do) my homework by the time you (come).
16. ‘Where you (spend) last Sunday?’ ‘I (spend) it in the country.’
17. ‘What you (read)?’ ‘I (read) a magazine.’ ‘How long you (read) it?’ ‘For half an hour.’
18. By 8 o’clock yesterday I (do) my homework and at 8 I (play) the piano.
19. How many pages you (read) by five o’clock tomorrow?
20. When I (come) home yesterday, he (tell) me he (wait) for me for already an hour.
Test 36. Read the text and put the verbs in brackets into the correct past forms.Last year Sam and Joanna decided to buy a house. They (1)(save up) for ages, and by the end of April they (2)(put by) enough for the deposit on a house. They (3)(live) in a tiny flat at the time and Joanna (4)(insist) that she wanted a house with a big garden. They (5)(search) for only a few days when they found exactly what they (6)(look for) – a two-bedroomed house in nearly an acre of garden. Unfortunately the owner (7)(ask) much more than they (8)(be) willing to pay, and when they (9)(look) more closely at the interior, they (10)(see) that whoever (11)(live) there before, (12)(make) an absolute mess of the walls and floors. Still Joanna (13)(like) the garden and the location so much that she (14)(manage) to convince Sam that, despite the price, it (15)(be) the perfect house for them.
Test 37. Read the text and put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.
Farmers, as we all (1)(know), (2)(have) а hard time of it in Britain lately, and (3)(turn) to new ways of earning income from their land. This (4)(involve) not only planting new kinds of crops, but some strange ways of making money, the most unusual of which has got to be sheep racing. Yes, you (5)(hear) me correctly! А farmer in the West of England now (6)(hold) sheep races on а regular basis, and during the past year over 100 000 people (7)(turn up) to watch the proceedings. ‘I (8)(pass) the farm on my way to the sea for а holiday,’ one punter told me, ‘and I (9)(think) I’d have а look. I (10)(not believe) it was serious, to tell you the truth.’
According to а regular visitor, betting on sheep is more interesting than betting on horses. ‘At proper horse races everyone (11)(already study) the form of the horses in advance, and there are clear favourites. But nobody (12)(hear) anything about these sheep! Most people (13)(find) it difficult to tell one from another in any case.’
‘I (14)(stay) to watch the races, and I must admit that I (15)(find) it quite exciting. In а typical race, half а dozen sheep (16)(race) downhill over а course of about half а mile. Food (17)(wait) for them at the other end of the track, I ought to add! The sheep (18)(run) surprisingly fast, although presumably they (19)(not eat) for а while just to give them some motivation. At any rate, the crowd around me (20)(obviously enjoy) their day out at the races, judging by their happy faces and the sense of excitement.’
Test 38. Read the text and put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.Ask hundreds of people what they (1)(do) on а certain day in August next year, or the year after, and there (2)(be) only one reply. Provided of course that the people you (3)(ask) (4)(belong) to the Elvis Presley Fan Club. Although the King of Rock and Roll (5)(die) nearly two decades ago, his fans (6)(meet) every year since then outside his home in Memphis, Tennessee, to show respect for the singer they (7) (love) so much. Fans like Jean Thomas, from Catford in South London. Jean (8)(visit) Gracelands, the house where Elvis (9)(suffer) his fatal heart attack, twice in the past five years. ‘The first time I (10)(borrow) the money from my Mum, as I (11)(not work) then. But two years ago I (12)(get) married and since then I (13)(work) in my husband Chris’s garage. Chris and I (14)(go) together last year, and we (15)(think) of spending two or three months in the USA next year. I (16)(always want) to visit some of the places where Elvis (17)(perform). Like Las Vegas for example.’ Jean says that Elvis (18)(be) her obsession ever since she (19)(be) ten years old, and she (20)(own) every single one of his records, good and bad.