Английский язык: Экспресс-репетитор для подготовки к ЕГЭ: «Грамматика и лексика»
Test 13. Choose the correct form of the verb.
1. Paula has given up _________.
a) to smoke b) smoking c) smoke
2. I promised _________ in time.
a) to come b) having come c) come
3. I saw him yesterday. He seems _________ weight.
a) losing b) to have lost c) lose
4. Let me _________ your bag.
a) to carry b) carrying c) carry
5. I don’t enjoy _________ very much.
a) dance b) danced c) dancing
6. It was funny. I couldn’t help _________.
a) laughing b) laugh c) to laugh
7. Would you mind _________ the door, please?
a) close b) closing c) closed
8. I’d prefer _________ a taxi.
a) get b) to get c) having got
9. He is very good at _________ languages.
a) to learn b) learn c) learning
10. He is used _________ alone.
a) having lived b) to live c) to living
11. David insisted on _________ for the meal.
a) to pay b) having paid c) paying
12. It is no use of _________ about it.
a) worrying b) worry c) to have worried
13. I had difficulty in _________ a permit.
a) to get b) getting c) got
14. Let’s go to the pool _________ a swim.
a) to have b) having c) had
15. Ann was surprised _________ you last week.
a) see b) to see c) having seen
16. He prevented them from _________ the same mistake.
a) do b) to do c) doing
17. Did you notice anyone _________?
a) to go out b) go out c) went out
18. _________ her work, she went home.
a) To have finished b) Having finished c) To finish
19. She denied _________ there.
a) to go b) went c) going
20. Tony mentioned _________ the bus to school instead of walking.
a) to take b) took c) taking
Test 14. Choose the correct form of the verb.
1. Ann was made _________ her suitcase.
a) to open b) opening c) open
2. Do you know how _________ to his house?
a) getting b) get c) to get
3. I remember _________ the door.
a) locking b) to lock c) to be locked
4. The coat is dirty. It needs _________.
a) to clean b) clean c) cleaning
5. I bought a new car instead of _________ to America.
a) to fly b) fly c) flying
6. He is looking forward to _________ them again.
a) see b) have seen c) seeing
7. She was busy _________ in the garden.
a) working b) to work c) to be working
8. I don’t enjoy _________ very much.
a) driving b) drive c) drove
9. I can’t afford _________ tonight. I’m too tired.
a) to be going out b) to go out c) go out
10. His mother made him _________ the room.
a) to clean b) cleaning c) clean
11. Has it stopped _________ yet?
a) rain b) to be rain c) raining
12. Can you remind me _________ some coffee?
a) to buy b) buy c) having bought
13. Why do you keep _________ me questions?
a) being asked b) asked c) asking
14. I refuse _________ his questions.
a) to answer b) answer c) having answered
15. I’ve enjoyed _________ them.
a) meet b) meeting c) being met
16. The girl began _________ at night.
a) cry b) to cry c) having cried
17. He is against _________ the discussion of this issue.
a) postpone b) having postpone c) postponing
18. I can’t stand _________ here any longer.
a) work b) being work c) working
19. They translated the story into English without _________ a dictionary.
a) to use b) use c) using
20. _________ in that country all his life, he knew it very well.
a) Having lived b) Being lived c) Live
Test 15. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the infinitive or V-ing form.Christmas Whatever else Christmas may _________ (1)(stand for), one thing it still means is _________ (2)(eat). Christmas has traditionally been a time of the year when people have tried _________ (3)(cheer) themselves up during the cold months of winter. Last year more than 10 million turkeys were bought in Britain alone during the festive season _________ (4)(satisfy) the nation’s appetite. Health experts may continue _________ (5)(complain) about all this self-indulgence, but they fail _________ (6)(realise) that there is nothing new about celebratory feasting, practically at this time of the year. The Roman Saturnalia, which was supposed to be a festival _________ (7)(honour) the god of agriculture, started on 19 December. Among other things, the Saturnalia involved _________ (8)(light) candles and _________ (9)(give) gifts. People who had spent the whole year _________ (10)(save) money suddenly became extravagant. In addition to _________ (11)(exchange) gifts, this time of year was also an occasion for masters and slaves alike _________ (12)(eat) excessively. At one Saturnalia feast an emperor is reported _________ (13)(spend) the equivalent of $900,000 on a dinner for twelve guests which consisted of twenty courses and lasted all day. So, when mealtime comes round on 25 December, there’s no point in _________ (14)(have) a guilty conscience. In fact the occasional seasonal feast may promote good health and stop year-round _________ (15)(overeat).
Test 16. Put the verbs in brackets into the V-ing form or the infinitive with or without to.When David decided _________ (1)(give up) his job and _________ (2)(sell) all his possessions, everyone thought he was mad. But, as it turned out, he was just the first of many friends _________ (3)(do) this. In fact, escaping the pressures of everyday working life has become a priority for many people these days. They can’t stand the idea of _________ (4)(work) until they are 65, only _________ (5)(retire) to some boring country village and _________ (6)(waste) their time _________ (7)(dig) the garden or (8)(gossip) with the neighbours. They would rather _________ (9)(live) life to the full now, before they are too old _________ (10)(enjoy) it. _________ (11)(buy) a motorcycle and _________ (12)(tour) the world is a popular option. Other, less adventurous types might prefer _________ (13)(buy) a small farmhouse and live off the land. Personally, one fancies _________ (14)(sail) around the world in a yacht. As for David, he bought a house in a little country village and spends his time _________ (15)(walk) around the village and talking with the neighbours.